Thursday, January 03, 2008

PJ Williams

I subscribed to the newspaper last week, the first time in over 10 years.
The first issue I got was Friday of last week, I didn't open it until last night.

I read through the Obits and saw that my old friend PJ Williams had died the day after Christmas.

I met PJ about 15 years ago at the first 3 barons fair in Anchorage. I was sitting on the ground painting kids faces with a water color set. I was getting .50 each.

PJ and Marky took me under their wing and taught me the fine art of Face Painting, bringing me in to work many events with them, often I'd earn over $500.00 a day, and I even got to fly to Valdez and work the Alyeska Anniversary party with Marky.

PJ was a kind and gentle woman and was at ease with children, be they 4 or 40. I suppose that living with Marky, a very large child at heart, helped.

Thank You, PJ, you will be remembered kindly.


Patty Jo "Pj" Gentry-Williams, 51, died suddenly Dec. 26, 2007, at her home in Wasilla.
A memorial gathering will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at Alaskan Heritage Memorial Chapel, 1015 S. Check St. in Wasilla.
Pj was born May 2, 1956, in Eugene, Ore., to Patricia and Charles Gentry. When Pj was 13 her family moved to Petersburg, where she graduated from high school and furthered her education at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, where she received a degree in performing arts, and later at the University of Alaska Anchorage, where she earned a degree in elementary education.
Pj was an internationally winning face painter. She loved seeing children's happy expressions when they saw the designs she painted. Pj taught in Chickaloon at the Ya Ni Da Ah School.
She was Miss Alaska in 1978.
She acted in many theater, television and film projects. The Daily News awarded her best play of the year for her one-woman performance as Emily Dickinson in "The Belle of Amherst." Pj also won best actress for her performance in "Tidy Endings" at the Alaska Theater Competition.
Her family wrote: "In spite of all the awards she received, she considered her family her best accomplishment. She was considered 'the best Mom in the world' by her children, and her husband. She enjoyed spending time with them and will be missed by all."
Pj is survived by her husband of 20 years, Mark Williams ("Marky D. Clown"); sons, Zakoriah and Mathew; daughter, Sarah; brothers, Mike Gentry of Anchorage, and John and spouse, Patty Gentry; nieces, Jayla and Amy; and nephews, Ronnie and Evan, all of Fairbanks; parents, Pat and Chuck of Florence, Ore.; in-laws, Nick and Patsy Williams, Mathew Williams of Atoka, Okla., and Sandra Williams of San Jose, Calif.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made in her name to account 12371 ME, in care of Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union, 1020 S. Baily St., Palmer 99645.
Published in the Anchorage Daily News on 12/29/2007.

No comments:

My Travels - Some of the places I have enjoyed visiting